Wednesday Silverwood’s short story “Angelique” will appear in the Gothic Blue Book: The Revenge Edition this month.
1. Vampires or Zombies? Which do you prefer in fiction?
Vampires! Don’t get me wrong, I love zombies too but the figure of the vampire has a particular menace and romance for me. So long as they have the proper carnal appetites that is!
2. Haunted House or Haunted Mental Asylum? If you had to spend the night in one to write about your experience which would you chose, and why?
I think it would have to be the Haunted House. Mostly because the Haunted Mental Asylum just sounds way, way too scary!
3. Have you ever read a book or a fictional story that frightened you so much you had to put it down at least once while you were reading? If so, what was it? What frightened you?
Sadly, I don’t experience that sense of terror very often anymore, but I do remember a children’s book that really scared me. It’s the Usborne Book of Ghosts and Hauntings and it has these utterly terrifying illustrations. I still find that book scary!
4. Why do you enjoy writing Gothic/Literary horror/horror/paranormal fiction? Or just, why do you enjoy writing in general?
I love supernatural fiction. It’s the only kind of fiction I’ve ever wanted to write. I have a real love of the gothic, particularly the mood and aesthetic. I’ll never tire of the genre, there’s still such a lot to be said.
5. What other projects do you have in the works?
I’m mainly working on a gothic-themed novella at the moment. It centres on a horror writer and her son Byron and takes place in an old dark house. It’s still very much a work in progress at the moment, but I intend to release it on Kindle before Christmas. I’ll be updating my website as soon as it’s available!
WEDNESDAY SILVERWOOD is a horror writer from North London, England. Her recent work can be found in publications from Pill Hill Press and Static Movement. She has more stories forthcoming from Red Skies Press, Siren’s Call Publications and Morpheus Tales. For more information, please see her website at www.wednesdaysilverwood.co.uk.